If you’re looking to tone and tighten your lower body, I’ve got a simple solution for you. See, there’s a reason nearly every Brazilian booty blasting workout features some type of added stress around the ankles to work the hips, thighs, and glutes. Why? Because it works!
If you’re looking to get tighter, toned legs and a Brazilian-style backside, then ankle strap exercises are one of the best ways to do just that. Utilizing a wide variety of planes, you can add strength, size, and tightness to your legs and ass by using ankle straps and a cable pulley machine.
While there’s a bit more to it than simply strapping up and swinging your legs around, everyone can have better looking legs by incorporating ankle strap exercises into their weekly routine. So, let’s dive in.
What Are Ankle Straps?
Like the name suggests, ankle straps are a simple gym accessory that wraps around your ankle. The straps tighten around each ankle individually and comes with a hook on the side or back.
You can then hook the straps into a machine, like a cable pulley. This allows users to work their legs and abs in different ways and planes, as cable pulleys allow you to move freely. Due to the unique nature of ankle straps, many female gym goers prefer to train their legs with them.
11 Ankle Strap Exercises to Trim, Tone, and Tighten
Enough with the ankle strap introduction, let’s get down to business and discuss how you can trim, tone, and tighten your lower body and core. Here are the 11 best ankle strap exercises we’ve found at Gunsmith Fitness:
Cable Lateral Lunges
Cable lateral lunges are an incredible way to train your hamstrings, glutes, and calves.
- Start by attaching an ankle strap to your left leg and hooking up the cable pulley on the lowest possible height.
- Once hooked in stand with your right shoulder (opposite the leg you have the ankle strap on) facing the cable machine.
- Make a large side step with your left leg. Your knee should bend into a flexed, lunge position.
- Hold this for one second.
- Repeat for 25 repetitions on each leg.
Cable kickbacks are one of the best ways to directly train you booty.
- Start by attaching a strap to your ankles and keeping the cable pulley on a low setting.
- Face the machine and hold it. Use your arms to help you balance.
- Extended the weighted leg backwards as far as you can.
- Hold for one second at the top before slowly lowering the leg back to the starting position.
- Complete 15 repetitions on each leg.
Cable Hip Abductors
One of the best ways to give your hips and butt that perfect shape is through abduction exercises. The best one? Cable hip abductors.
- Start by keeping the pulley machine on the lowest setting and attaching the strap to your ankle.
- Your shoulder should face the machine while the outside leg is weighted.
- Raise the outside, weighted leg to the side while keeping the other leg on the ground.
- Squeeze your glutes at the top for two seconds. Then slowly bring the leg back down.
- Do 15 repetitions on each leg.
Cable Hamstring Curls
One of the best ways to get every muscle fiber in the hamstrings firing is cable curls. Done properly, this exercise will add toned muscle to your legs.
- As always, keep the machine on the lowest setting and strap one ankle in.
- Hold onto the machine while facing towards it.
- While balancing on one leg, pull the weighted leg upwards. You’re trying to have your heel touch your buttocks.
- Hold at the top for one second before slowly releasing.
- Complete 20 reps on each leg.
Cable Forward Leg Extensions
Cable forward leg extensions are a tough exercise, but the balance required ensures you’ll get a great toning workout.
- With the cable pulley on the low setting, attach the strap to one leg.
- Face away from the pulley machine. Lift the weighted leg slightly off the ground and make a 90-degree angle.
- Then slowly extend the leg until it is perfectly straight. You should feel pressure in your quads and hip flexors.
- Slowly let the straight leg release down to the 90-degree angle starting position.
- While staying on balance, try to get 10 reps. Then switch legs.
Weighted Leg Raises
Ankle strap exercises aren’t just for legs. You can train your core, too. Weight legs raises may be the best way.
- Grab a flat bench. Attach the cable to both your ankles at one time and keep them together.
- Lie on the bench with your weighted ankles toward the pulley machine.
- Grab the bench or another machine nearby for balance.
- Slowly lift both weight ankles straight into the air. Once your body makes a “L” shape, you can slowly lower the legs back down.
- This should be incredibly difficult on the abdominals.
- Do 20 reps.
Another great ankle strap exercise for abs are weighted crunches. Tight and toned abs made easy!
- Attach the cable to both ankles at the same time and keep your feet together. The pulley will be in the lowest position.
- Lie flat on the floor. While your back is on the floor, slide your fingers under your head and lift your legs on the ground. You are now in standard crunch position.
- Begin doing crunches, but over-exaggerate the leg movement. By stretching the leg movement out, the weight of the cable pulley makes the exercise 10X more difficult.
- Repeat for 25 reps.
You already know how important lunges can be to developing the booty. Cable lunges are even better!
- These cable lunges will essentially be backward lunges.
- Attach the ankle strap to one leg and keep the pulley on the lowest setting.
- Face away from the machine and walk until the pressure from the pulley is significant.
- Pull the weighted knee to the chest while your hands stay on your hips. Balance.
- Then slowly drop back into a backwards lunge.
- At the bottom hold for one second in the lunge position, then swiftly come up into the knee to chest position.
- That’s one rep.
- Repeat for 15 on each leg.
Inner Thigh Contractions
The opposite of hip abductors, inner thigh contractions work the inside of your leg through a unique plane.
- Stand in front of the pulley machine with your shoulder facing it. Attach the leg closest to the machine with an ankle strap.
- Lift the leg of the ground slightly and pull it to the side, away from the pulley machine,
- Once you can no longer raise the leg any higher, hold for one second and then slowly bring it down to the starting position.
- Repeat for 20 reps on each leg.
Get Tight and Toned Today!
There it is. The best ankle strap exercises on the planet! If you’re looking to get toned, tight, and trim while building a beautiful booty, then these lifts will help you do it. But don’t expect any ole’ gym to have perfect ankle straps for you…
Instead, grab a pair of Gunsmith Fitness Ankle Straps. Our wide-padded ankle straps were designed to fit any and every pulley machine you can find. The added padding ensures a comfortable workout, while the elongated adjustable velcro makes every ankle strap exercise a possibility.